Netmedicos.com

Turning Dreams of Medicos Into Reality...!!!
Mcqs MBBS Exams India
Welcome, GuestLogin / Register
Home >> Orthopaedics >> ForumTopic: Bone growth

Author:Message
superbdoc

Total Posts: 273

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 08:18 pm

Bone growth is maximally influenced by ?

A) Estrogen
B) Growth Hormone
C) Thyroxine
D) Testosterone

Please give ans with a befitting explanation...
Confused
jemzcal

Total Posts: 127

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 09:24 pm

i believe the answer given is testosterone.

but i also have doubts regarding its genuineness.

somebody clarify please.
superbdoc

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 09:30 pm

I gave it as GH as it was my staunch thought..... Smile

So It surprised me that D is given as ans... Sad
juhidr

Total Posts: 149

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 09:46 pm

Here is what i could find -

Dirk Vanderschueren & Katrien Venken, Hormonal regulation of periosteal bone growth, Endocrine Abstracts (2007) 14 S15.2

"In light of the gender differences in bone geometry, sex steroids have been proposed as key regulators of pubertal periosteal bone formation. Sex steroids may affect periosteal bone apposition following activation of sex steroid receptors [androgen receptor (AR), estrogen receptor alpha (ERα) or beta (ERβ)]. Traditionally, it has been assumed that AR-mediated androgen action stimulates periosteal bone formation and thereby determines the larger bone size in males, whereas estrogens suppress periosteal bone formation resulting in a smaller bone size in females...."

".... In conclusion, optimal periosteal bone formation in the male during puberty primarily depends on a functional GH-IGF-I axis, followed by activation of the AR. However, both GH/IGF-I and androgens are independently needed for optimal stimulation of radial bone growth. Moreover, part of the androgen action on periosteal bone may be explained by aromatization and subsequent ERα activation. The latter may interact with GH/IGF-I and may influence periosteal growth by estrogen-related changes in serum IGF-I."
juhidr

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 09:47 pm

So, Testosterone seems correct.
jemzcal

Total Posts: 127

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:01 pm

according to a study,,

both testosterone and estrogen are found to influence bone growth in males. but their quantitative order of importance is not established.

i think we will go with testosterone
juhidr

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:16 pm

yes, going with testosterone seems the safest option till now.
superbdoc

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 01:25 am

thanx folks...keep me tuned if anyone thinks on contrary that GH is ans...Surprised

Anyways I accept the ans to be testosterone now...
You need to be logged in to post messages.