Netmedicos.com

Turning Dreams of Medicos Into Reality...!!!
Mcqs MBBS Exams India
Welcome, GuestLogin / Register
Home >> Study >> ForumTopic: responibilities of interns

Author:Message
nadig

Total Posts: 10

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:18 pm

I am an intern and i had a doubt regarding the medicolegal liabilities that interns have on their part.That is if an intern is forced in a situation where he has to decide some treatment by himself for an emergency case that had never been seen by him previously and where no pgs or seniors come and decide even on repeatedly requesting them to come and this decision led to some complication in that patient. Now will that intern be liable or that pg for not responding?
plz someone kindly clear this doubt of mine so that it will be very useful for me to learn with more confidence in future
Thank you
juhidr

Total Posts: 149

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:43 pm

this situation is very common in our step up. what i would suggest is

1. Don't Panic in front of Patient's relatives / try to put the blame on seniors / consultant
2. Give symptomatic medicines as best as you can, explain "Doubtful Prognosis" to the patients relatives
3. Send them to bring blood (if Hb appears low) / medicines that you have prescribed
4. Meanwhile - Call the unit In-charge / Consultant - and try to get advise from him

a. If he responds - Write the advice given by him, in the treatment sheet, plus also put a note "As advise by Dr. X over phone", plus time, date and signature.

b. If he does not respond / gives no positive response - Put a note on the treatment sheet "Consultant could not be contacted over phone" with Date and Time, plus "Informed Medical Superintendent for the needful" with Date and Time and Signature. And Inform The Medical Superintendent.

This way - You as an Intern are completely SAFE, plus the patient gets some treatment, plus Medical Superintendent would try to arrange some senior person to attend the case (otherwise, he is liable, as you have personally put the note with date and time).

I hope this can bail you out most of the times.
superbdoc

Total Posts: 273

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 01:14 am

Thats the perfect way out of that worrisome situation..

Wonderful reply from juhi.... Surprised
juhidr

Total Posts: 149

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 05:04 am

That's becoz I had been in similar situation many times. (And few of my helpful colleagues decided this plan to bail us out of this situation after various discussions esp. with Raj, Sumit and Dheeraj) This was the protocol adopted by us to save us when seniors refuse to attend to the patients. Smile
You need to be logged in to post messages.