Netmedicos.com

Turning Dreams of Medicos Into Reality...!!!
Mcqs MBBS Exams India
Welcome, GuestLogin / Register
Home >> Surgery >> ForumTopic: Urethra injury

Author:Message
superbdoc

Total Posts: 273

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 07:22 am

Question from AIIMS mock 942 Qn 22

The most common site of injury to the urethra is ?
A) Bulbar
B) Membranous
C) Penile
D) Prostatic

Correct Answer: A

Please explain...I thought that Bulbar and Penile urethra were synonyms.. Shocked

Also give me more useful data to take in my brain Cool
indent

Total Posts: 54

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 07:38 am

As far as i remember - Parts of urethra

A. Prostatic
B. Membranous
C. Bulbar (At the beginning of the corpus spongiosum)
D. Penile

of which external urethral meatus is the narrowest part and Prostatic is the most dilatable part.
superbdoc

Total Posts: 273

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 03:23 pm

Which is the longest part..??
mady007

Total Posts: 8

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 03:53 pm

penile is the longest
mady007

Total Posts: 8

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 04:19 pm

The membranous part of the urethra is the shortest (c.1.5 cm), least dilatable and, with the exception of the external orifice, the narrowest, section of the urethra.
After an injury to the bulbar urethra, urine usually extravasates between the perineal membrane and the membranous layer of the superficial fascia (clinically known as Colles' fascia). As both of these are attached firmly to the ischiopubic rami, extravasated fluid cannot pass posteriorly because the two layers are continuous around the superficial transverse perineal muscles. Laterally, the spread of urine is blocked by the pubic and ischial rami. Urine cannot enter the lesser pelvis through the perineal membrane if this remains intact, so it makes its way anteriorly into the loose connective tissue of the scrotum and penis and thence to the anterior abdominal wall. If the posterior urethra is injured, urine is extravasated into the pelvic extraperitoneal tissue: if the perineal membrane is torn as well extravasation may also occur into the perineum
juhidr

Total Posts: 149

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 02:10 am

Yes, Penile is the longest

Prostatic - 3 cm
Membranous - 1.5 cm
Bulbar + Penile = 15 cm (most of which is penile)
You need to be logged in to post messages.